Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Masi Mara, Kisumu, Nakuru

So, our internet over the past few days has been very limited to non-existent. But they have been an incredible past few days.

The safari was beyond amazing, to be up close and personal with lions, giraffes, elephants, zebras, antelopes, and cheetahs. There was one point where we were parked next to a lion and his lioness no more than 10 feet away. Then, another male lion came on the other side of our van and started roaring at the other lion. So we were waiting for a lion brawl when the lion with his GF started walking towards our jeep because he saw Ashley’s red flannel, which is similar to the Masi colors (and they kill lions sometimes so the lion was pissed). It was beyond epic and of course billion times cooler than Nat Geo.

We agreed we came away different, which you don’t really expect from a sweet safari. But I appreciate wildlife and its habitat so much more now. Of course I’ve always been an animal and nature lover, so it was pretty amazing to be in this giant park, virtually untouched by man where the wild creatures still roam. We were torn at the beginning as to how we felt about riding around in a jeep to awe at the animals and whip out our cameras every time we saw something move. But having experienced it and observing other tourists flock around the lion pair was kind of an honor. I felt blessed to be sharing such rare moments that usually can only be seen on TV, and that I could try and capture each animal’s beauty to share with others. I also got some really fun footage of the Mara (the huge park we safaried in) and the animals we saw, including the Great Wildebeest migration (which is supposedly one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World) there were Wildebeest for MILES and they all walk in one line and jump across rivers to get to Mara fields full of grass. So we sat and ate lunch and watched them run.

After safari we headed to the Kisumu home. It’s a huge home and include a special needs unit, unique from all the other homes. We played with the kids all day and started our Personality Reports on the kids. Paige and I were charged to take pictures the whole time, which we gladly did. There are 4 people staying in Kisumu for the next 2 weeks each attempting to write 3 reports for every 2 days, and scanning archives and files. I got some great footage of the kids and the home. They LOVE it when I turn around the camera screen and let them see themselves on film.

After 2 days, Paige, Hannah, Ashley, Kaitlyn, and I ventured to the Nakuru home. This is a beautiful home with so much space for the kids to run since they’re older. We hung out with them at school, which is on the same property, and played with them outside. I got some fantastic footage of the kids playing and singing! They love singing. 4 little boys were on a swing singing their little hearts out, everything from “I’m in the Lords army, yes Sir!” to “mary had a little lamb”. They were precious! One boy particularly loved the camera and gave a beautiful singing performance of “Jesus loves the little children”. This is absolutely going in the video.

The video. So I have soo much footage and it will be interesting to see how it all comes together. My hope is that the information and facts will be clear; such as how Amani and New Life are connected, the goals of each, interviews with the founders, and intern’s experiences. So I’ll certainly have my work cut out for me when I come home!

I can’t upload pictures at the moment because my computer died, so I’m on Ashley’s but hopefully by Friday.

It’s been an amazing past few days and I can’t believe its almost over.

I can’t wait to come home too ☺

No comments: